Friday 24 October 2008

Eisriesenwelt


The Eisriesenwelt is the largest system of ice caves on our planet.

At the end of the nineteenth century the caves were only known to hunters and poachers.
Only in the 1920's the first primitive climbing routes were established up to the cave and onwards into the interior.
In 1955 a cable-car provided an alternative to the steepest part of the climb (1084 m - 1586m).
The Eisriesenwelt is owned by the National Austrian Forestry Commission.

We visited the cave last summer when we spent two weeks in Austria's beautiful Salzkammergut.


The mouth of the cave is high up in Tennengebirge.

The labyrinth of caves is over 40 km long! We walked about 2 hours!


The next two pictures are borrowed from Eisriesenwelt's homepage.

Here you get an impression of the gigantic ice formations and the large number of steps leading through the cave.


Click on the photo above to see more phantastic pictures on Eisriesenwelt's homepage!
There is also information on the ice in the caves and the cave formation.

From the entrance you can enjoy exciting panoramic views of the Salzach valley when the weather is good.


This is the way down to the cable car station and the Salzach valley.

16 comments:

Wienermädel + Co said...

Das sind imposante Bilder, ich war dort vor hundert Jahren!
Kennt ihr auch die Dachstein-Höhlen?

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Oesterreich hat ja unwahrscheinliche Natur Raritaeten.
Was fuer eine interessante Bergtour. Danke fuer deine Information. Ist es eigentlich Eis oder Salz?

Webradio said...

Oh là là ! Que de belles photos avons-nous sur ce post !

Vraiment impressionnant !

laughingwolf said...

amazing, thx maria :)

btw, did you have anything to do with those tourist signs: there are NO kangaroos in austria? :O lol

EG CameraGirl said...

What a lovely spot to spend part of your summer vacation! Ice in the middle of the heat! Very interesting! Thanks.

Donna said...

WOW! Cool pictures!

Baino said...

Whilst Vienna is lovely and I ache to go back and explore more it's so sad that we tourists don't get to see these out of the way places. I had no idea there were caves like this.

Joseph Pulikotil said...

Hi Maria :)

Amazing photos from an amazing adventure!

The thrill and excitement of going to the caves and moving around there should should have been unique and extraordinary.

You are very lucky to see all these wonderful and breathtaking scenes first hand.

Needless to mention
that your unbridled spirit of adventure is very special.

I am very delighted to see these fantastic scenes through your lenses. Many thanks!

Have a fantastic day :)

Elizabeth said...

These are so dramatic and beautiful - but to me also a little frightening since I don't like heights or being enclosed - so I'm glad I got to visit them through you!
How is D'oro?

Lady Di Tn said...

Very interesting. I went to the site and checked out the photo. This kitty likes to keep her paws above ground and even though we have lots of caves in TN, I have not visited them. Peace

Kahshe Cottager said...

Just amazing! I never knew about these caves and I enjoyed the photos very much ... I will never be brave enough to visit them myself!

Michele said...

OH MY... what a fantastic tour through your fotos here... amazing... I really did enjoy them. Beautiful... so sehr nice... I am glad I have come to see this wonderful post!! =)
~Michele~
Mountain Retreat- Canada

Jules said...

These are amazing - magnificent!!! I haven't heard of them but they are now on my travel list!!!! Many thanks for sharing them with us.

Ces Adorio said...

Maria my gosh. I have altitude sickness just looking at these photographs!

antigoni said...

Awesome pictures.

Jeanette said...

Gday Maria, Absultely amazing pictures, inside the cave..its wonderful to see the world with out leaving my home..
Oh my I could never see them as I am afaid of heights..My legs turn to jelly when i stand on a chair...